Thursday 15 September 2011

The Honey Pot Bruins Prospect Tour!

Draft Day Dougie
Next week my second favourite league opens up when the Ontario Hockey League (OHL)
drops the puck for real on the 2011-2012 season.

As much as I am excited to watch my Bruins repeat this year I am also excited to watch my favourite OHL team the Sarnia Sting in action.

The Sting made some HUGE moves in the off season bringing in Coyotes 1st rounder Connor Murphy, Devils draft pick Reid Boucher and Blackhawks 2nd rounder Ludvig Rensfeldt.

Add those players to the mix of returning players in Dallas 2nd round pick Brett
Ritchie and of course my favourites...the dynamic duo of Alex Galchenyuk and
Nail Yakupov who could possibly go 1-2 in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

I will actually be in Sarnia on Opening Night next Friday when the Sting take on
the Erie Otters.

Now there is also a Bruins spin to my love of the OHL and what will be my
somewhat frequent attendance at Sting games this season.

It will also give me a chance to keep my eye on several Bruin prospects!!!

PC obviously shares my love of the OHL as he and his scouting staff have taken
several players out of the best development league in the world in the past few years.

So while I have my eye on the Sting I'm also gonna have my eye on the following Bruin
prospects!

Here is my "Scouting" Schedule for the season! (All games in Sarnia)

Friday November 4th - Alexander Khokhlachev and the Windsor Spitfires will be
in Sarnia!  Can't wait to watch the Bruins 2nd rounder in action.  Put up 76
points last year for the Spits and everything I hear about him is that he is dynamic!

Saturday November 26th - THIS is the game I am looking forward to the most all season
with the Sting.  The Niagara Ice Dogs are in town!  Not only will this be a
matchup of two of the top teams in the OHL BUT most importantly...will be my
first look at the future of the Bruins Blueline! Yes I will be about 6 rows up
in section 116 watching our 2011 first rounder Dougie Hamilton!! (Thank you Burkie..ahh it never gets old) Part of the "Thank You Kessel" package everything I hear about Hamilton is he is a HUGE yet mobile defenceman great both in his own end but with some offensive upside.  Can't wait
to watch Dougie!!

Saturday January 14th - Dougie Gilmour brings his Kingston Frontenacs to the RBC Centre
in Sarnia led by 2010 2nd rounder Ryan Spooner.  From everything I have read from
the Bruins rookie tournament...Spooner was hands down the best player. Spooner is a good
two way centre who scored 35 goals last year and as a 19 year old should be one
of the better players in the OHL next year and possibly a dark horse to make the Canadian
World Jr Team!  Can't wait to get my eyes on this future Bruin!

Monday February 20th - Looks like I'm spending Family Day (Ontario Holiday) in Sarnia
watching hockey!!! Jared Knight and the London Knights come to town in what is
always a heated game between the two bitter OHL Rivals.  Add to the mix that
former Knights Assistant Coach Jacques Beaulieu is running the show in Sarnia
this year and you have the makings of a great game! Of the four prospects I have seen
the most of Knight.  I'll admit I am not completely sold on him as of yet.  He is
a very solid OHL player but I just don't see anything that wow's me by any means.
Hopefully he has a huge year and proves me wrong.

So there you have it folks!  The 2011-2012 HoneyPot Bruins Scouting Tour.

These just aren't your run of the mill low end late round prospects either.  According
to Hockey's Future website I will be watching in person 4 of the top 5 Bruin prospects!

And don't worry...I will be posting in depth scouting reports after each of these games.

On another note....Bruins open Camp Saturday!!!!

Go Bruins Go....and Go Sting Go!

- Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment