Thursday 8 September 2011

Kampfuck? No Thank You...

Steve Kampfer and two of his new D partners
Omg where has the summer gone?!?! Days are getting shorter, yours truly is now a full-time Student in college, and yes most importantly.....WE ARE ONE WEEK AWAY FROM BRUINS TRAINING CAMP!!!!! - yes Rookie camp begins tomorrow I know this

Anyhow..as we get closer and closer to the 2011 Defending Stanley Cup Champions beginning their repeat season I would like to get something off my chest (focus on the hockey talk boys)...what I would like to address is one Mr. Steve Kampfer.



I have had several "debates" via twitter regarding this undersized, somewhat skilled defenceman.

The love affair many of my Bruin buddies have with this guy is something I just don't see and I don't get.

Every time he has been in the lineup I fail to see what he brings to the table.  Everyone brings up to me his skill level. How good of a skater is, how well he moves the puck.  Well to me this should translate into being an offensive defenceman should it not?? Well as usual...I have done my homework!  Going ALL the way back to his days in the USHL his highest point total was 19 points in 46 games.....this in the USHL people! Not even the CHL..the USHL! Now lets bring it back to current day and take a look at his NHL numbers.  In 38 career games in the NHL this "skilled" puck moving defenceman has 10 points in 38 games...hardly overwhelming.

Now I know what everyone will say..."He's a defenceman why are you talking about how many points he gets?"  Well I mention this because personally I think he lacks the size and strength to be a shut down defenceman in the NHL...so if the argument is that he can project to be an offensive defenceman...I just don't see it people.  Yes in today's NHL you don't have to be 6 foot 3 just to play and there is room for "the little guy"...but to me that little guy better have exceptional talent! And yes I know everyone will say "Well he was a +9 last season Ashley!"....C'mon people...You, I or hell even Dion Phaneuf would be a +9 playing for last
year's Bruins!


Regardless of my opinions and if you are with me OR even if you are Pro-Kampfer lets take a look at the projected Bruins defence for 2011-2012.

Boychuk
Chara
Corvo
Ference
Kampfer
McQuaid
Seidenberg


Can someone please tell me where Mr. Michigan Kampfer fits on that list?  I don't know about you but I have him 7th on my depth chart folks.

To me for the "style" Kampfer plays I think he needs to either be in your Top 4 or else ship him to Providence. Give me some size, some strong defensive play and keeping things simple out of my 5,6,7 D.

Bottom line on Steve Kampfer is I think he is what he is and to me its not an overly effective NHL defenceman who is a waste of cap space.

As always your thoughts and arguments are more then welcomed!  Either comment here or send me some feedback on twitter @bruinsbunnie

- Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment